Drupal Vs Joomla Vs Wordpress and other CMS
A very common question from Beginners is whether I should choose Drupal or Joomla or Wordpress or other CMS?
I had to make this tough decision 2 years back and I thank myself everyday for choosing Drupal over other CMS. I am glad I did not quit when I found some things difficult.
Drupal has a superior architecture and very SEO friendly. It can cater to your needs, it can be used for a simple FAQ site or a very large million visitor site.
Here are some Key pros and cons of the two systems.
* Rock solid & high quality platform
* Real multi-site-feature (only one installation for several sites)
* Any Kind of user groups & user permissions, OpenId compliant in Version 6
* Can run membership and community sites, not only CMS etc
* Powerful templating system. Any XHTML or CSS template can be easily converted to Drupal.
* Drupal needs a little time investment to realize all the huge possibilities of Drupal
* Clear, high quality code and API (easy to integrate with other solutions etc)
* Flexibility and no known limitations
* Drupal has a very large GPL module Libraray
* Drupal checks its Modules for security breaches.
* Drupal allows role based authentication. One can assign as many roles and also assign permissions to those role. Wordpress allows only two roles
* Many high profile sites use Drupal (e.g.: MTV UK, BBC, the Onion, Nasa, Greenpeace UK, New york observer. )
* If you are not techy its good to start
* Easy install & setup with your mouse
* Easy learning curve
* Cannot integrate other scripts etc. to your site
* Generally you cannot create high-end sites, without investing huge amount
* No SEO out of the box, URLs are not search engine friendly.
* Server resources utilization is more compared to drupal
* Only one site per installation
* No Single Log-in to several sites
* No User groups & permissions
* More intuitive administration user interface
* Some polished modules for things like calendars, polls, etc.
* Modules cost you money
* Joomla tends to have more commercial extensions
- Drupal can work with MySQL and Postgres while Joomla is known to support only MySQL
- Drupal can work with Apache or IIS while Joomla is known to support only Apache
- Joomla support SSL logins and SSL pages. Drupal not known to support it.
- Drupal has free add on for Workflow management. Joomla not known to have one.
- Drupal has inbuilt Translation manager. Joomla has a Free ad on for the same
- Drupal has more granular priviledge managment
- Drupal has iCal support [Add on] , Joomla not known to have one.
- Drupal is XHTML Complaint. Joomla not known to be one.
- Drupal has excellent versioning and Audit trail which Joomla lacks
If you are still not satisfied, I suggest you read the following
- Drupal vs Joomla Engineer's Take
- Drupal vs Joomla
- Good article comparing Joomla and Drupal
Drupal vs Wordpress
WordPress was built for personal blogging platform, while Drupal is a CMS or framework where blogging is only one of the features. While there's a good deal of debate on this, too, the bottom line is that you can do a lot more with Drupal, and if you know what you're doing, Drupal is easier and faster. However to new user Wordpress appears easier to learn and hence its more popular.
There is a learning curve to Drupal. This would be the case with any new skill or tool you pick up. There will be initial learning curve and once you know what you dont know then you start learning faster.
If you want a simple, easy website or blog and don't plan to develop it much in the future, Wordpress may be it. Advantage with wordpress is that it has a lot more good looking and free themes available. But if you plan to keep adding things, and more functionality then just blogs then you may consider drupal.
Drupal allows you lot more customization and flexibility over wordpress, Something which you will appreciate in long term.
Wordpress's popularity means that there are lot more commercial plugins available. I would suggest make a list of features you need then compare which one would suit you better.
Finally this post will give you lot more details about what you need to know about Drupal and Wordpress comparsion http://techczech.net/2012/07/28/drupal-wordpress-choice/